Tor for Emergency Program Manager
Position : Emergency Program Manager
Job site : Baidoa-Nairobi
Report to : Program Director/Executive Director
Duration : 6 Months
Vacancy : Based in Baidoa
Founded in 2008, the Rural Education and Agriculture Development Organization (READO) is a leading national non-governmental organization in Somalia that implements emergency aid intervention and development programs. Independent, private, and not-for-profit, READO employs strict political and religious impartiality, operating according to humanitarian principles and sharing transparency.
Since 2008, READO has been responding to the multiple shocks facing Somalia through the implementation of humanitarian emergency response, recovery, and development programs targeting mainly destitute agro-pastoral, riverine, and IDP communities in Somalia with funding from various international partners. Currently, READO programs in Somalia focus on building capacity to respond to emergency outbreaks and improving livelihoods/Food Security, Good Governance, WASH, Protection, Education, Peacebuilding, and conflict resolution.
The Emergency Program Manager is responsible for the project’s management, implementation, and supervision, including aspects related to the project planning, implementation, and monitoring. He will be directly reporting to the Program Manager/Executive Director. EPM will be responsible for ensuring timely and precise internal and external reporting to the donor.
Main RESPONSIBILITIES: –
Precise objectives will vary between assignments.
- Lead WASH technical assessments in coordination with other READO thematic areas and external sector agencies. Ensure assessment findings are documented, including a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Design appropriate emergency response interventions based on assessed needs, including but not limited to WASH support to nutrition and health centers; household and school water treatment and supply; household and community sanitation, water and sanitation for temporary shelters and children-friendly spaces, hygiene material distributions, hygiene promotion campaigns and planning for complete transitional project interventions where necessary.
- Management of emergency WASH interventions, including recruitment, staff management, capacity-building, development of work plans, grant management, and reporting.
- Support evaluations of emergency WASH responses.
- Advocacy, coordination, external representation activities with other NGOs, UN agencies, donors, and national governments, and support to cluster and other inter-agency processes.
- Ensure that WASH interventions are informed and integrated with READO’s other core health sectors, education, nutrition, food security & livelihoods, and protection.
- Assessment and program design.
- Play a technical support role in assessing disaster-affected communities’ WASH (water supply, sanitation, public health promotion) needs.
- Ensure that assessment, program design, and implementation consider children’s roles, needs, and vulnerabilities within the community.
- On the basis of these assessments, design and construct appropriate responses to meet people’s / institutionalist (health or nutrition centers) basic WASH needs, including water supply, excreta disposal, solid waste management, vector control, and hygiene promotion.
- Ensure the WASH program design is informed and integrated with READO other priority sectors of nutrition, food security, livelihoods, health, education, and child protection. WASH Program evaluations should also consider the causal linkages between different sectors and WASH outcomes.
- Assisted in preparing relevant project proposals for donors and advocated for funding.
- Assist in preparing work plans, BoQs, and expenditure plans based on various WASH grants for the area.
- Ensure that sustainable systems are in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water supplies and sanitation facilities, including providing all necessary training.
- Manage the WASH project implementation, including financial management, to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against project deliverables and individual performance management work plans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal READO requirements and any relevant external donor requirements. Ensure appropriate management and use of SC resources at all times.
- Supervise and manage sub-contracts (construction), including BoQ, costs, quality of construction, and timeliness.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere standard and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- The use of communal water and sanitation facilities in refugee or displaced situations can increase women’s and girls’ vulnerability to sexual and other forms of gender-based violence.
- Ensuring access to clean water and sanitation services and technologies is a core objective of any nutrition program.
- Ensure that health facilities have relevant water and sanitation infrastructure to function correctly, including access to enough clean water and improved sanitation facilities critical for cholera treatment centers.
- Ensure that WASH infrastructure and hygiene materials are provided at child-friendly spaces, residential schools, orphanages, detention facilities, and other groups caring for children and train the WASH Officer and Assistants on how to refer child survivors, separated children, and children at risk of violence, exploitation, abuse and neglect to appropriate services.
- Ensure that adequate WASH facilities are provided to schools, including gender-segregated latrines, girls’ friendly sanitation facilities, and child-to-child hygiene education activities.
- Closely work with other Program Managers and ensure that WASH is integrated with other interventions.
REPRESENTATION AND ADVOCACY
- Ensure that READO work in water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion is coordinated with other agencies and Government efforts and represent READO at Interagency sector fora, such as the WASH cluster, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed.
- Take steps to document lessons learned in emergency WASH for wider dissemination.
- Comply with READO policies and practices concerning child protection, code of conduct, procurement and logistics, health and safety, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure all work is carried out sensitively to community needs, gender, and children’s issues. In particular, it is to promote the full and equal participation of women and children in all aspects of the work.
- Within reason, implement additional actions and responsibilities as requested by your line manager.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure short and long-term positive impacts for beneficiaries, local authorities, and WASH staff.
- Line-managed WASH Manager(s), facilitating regular meetings for information sharing and feedback.
- Provide coaching and supervision to develop ownership and responsibility for WASH activities.
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, health and hygiene behavior change communication, environmental or public health, water resource management, or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant postgraduate courses that complement/supplement the primary degree are an asset.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of professional experience in WASH-related programs at the national and international levels in a mixed set of country contexts (including humanitarian, fragile, and developing) is required.
- Proven ability to effectively lead a team to deliver results is required.
- Emergency field experience in humanitarian situations, including deployment missions
- Experience working in multiple geographic regions is strongly desirable.
How to apply:
Send the Application letter, including documents/Certificates, to via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org No later than 20th Dec 2023, Hard Copies will be delivered to the READO Office, Ex-UN Mine Action Office in Baidoa, only short-listed candidates will be contacted