MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND IRRIGATIONS
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
Name of the Project: Somalia Food Systems Resilience Project (S-FSRP) Assignment Title: HSS FSRP Environmental Specialist
Project ID: P177816
Deadline Date: 22nd Feb 2024
Ref No. SO-MOAI-379673-CS-INDV
The Somalia Food Systems Resilience Program (FSRP) is part of a regional initiative by the World Bank to provide a comprehensive framework for intervention at both the national and regional levels. This Multiphase Programmatic Approach (MPA) aims to tackle the underlying structural challenges of food insecurity and reduce beneficiaries’ vulnerability to unpredictable climate, crisis, and conflict events. It seeks to achieve this by rejuvenating Somalia’s agri-livestock research institutions, seed systems, and extension services and developing community institutions that can anchor adaptation of climate-smart agri-livestock practices, strengthening the availability of water and improved rangelands management for resilient agriculture and livestock production; support animal health services, enhancing the integration of the production systems to domestic and regional markets, with appropriate investments in food safety and value addition, and establishing an enabling policy and institutional framework at a sub-national, national and regional level capable of supporting food systems resilience for Somalia.
The Project Development Objective (PDO) for Somalia Food Systems Resilience Program (FSRP) will be ‘to increase preparedness against food insecurity and improve the resilience of food systems in targeted project areas of Somalia. Progress toward the PDO will be measured using five PDO indicators and intermediate indicators. All relevant indicators will be disaggregated by gender (men and women) and age (youth and adult). The five indicators.
The HirShabelle State of Somalia is establishing a core multi-sectoral Project Implementation Unit (PIU) supervised by the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation. The role of the PIU is to support the management, coordination, implementation monitoring, and evaluation of project activities. The PIU will be staffed with the following positions: State Project Coordinator, Finance Management Specialist, Procurement Specialist, Safeguards Specialist, M&E Specialist, and other technical Agricultural and Livestock specialists.
(1) Objectives of the Assignment
Reporting to the State Project Coordinator (SPC), The State Environmental Specialist will be a full-time contracted staff assigned to the PIU of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation of Somalia and the Ministry of Livestock Forest and Range (MoLFR) HirShabelle State. The State Environmental Safeguards Specialist will be responsible for the implementation of the environmental risk management of the Project and will provide technical expertise and capacity-building support FMS. They will also submit and track all E&S instruments and ensuing clearance before sub-project implementation.
In conjunction with the social and GBV/gender and security specialists, the senior environmental specialist will oversee the implementation of the Environment and Social Management Framework (ESMF), the Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP), the Labor Management Procedures (LMP), and Resettlement Planning Framework (RPF) and train and guide the FMS environmental specialists. The senior environmental specialist will ensure full implementation of the ESMF and Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP) and lessons learned and synergy with other World Bank projects such as Barwaaqo.
More generally, the senior environmental safeguards specialist will ensure that all environmental risks and impacts are monitored and mitigated and that environmental safeguard instruments and the ESCP are implemented on time.
S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (ToR) found at somalijobs.net, southwestjobs.so, hiiraan.com can be provided upon application submission (in person or by email to the address below).
3. The proposed duration for the assignment is twelve (12) calendar months from the start date. 4. Selection Criteria
• Master’s degree in environmental science, Environmental management, Project management, Geography, or any other related discipline from a recognized university
• At least five (5) years and documented experience in similar assignments of environmental safeguards compliance,
• Competence in information technology and knowledge in multi-sectoral community natural resources and environmental planning, GIS, climate change, as well as current policy on natural resource and environmental management policy issues, is a mandatory requirement.
• Postgraduate training in EIA/EA will be an added advantage
• Good understanding of environmental safeguards guidelines of the Federal Government of Somalia and
the World Bank.
• Working experience in environmental safeguards of World Bank-funded projects will be an added
• Membership in a relevant professional body will be an added advantage.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation at HirShabelle now invites eligible consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned Services. Interested Consultants should provide information
demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
6. Attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works, Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017, August 2018, and November 2020 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
7. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
8. Interested Consultants may obtain further information (in person or by e-mail) at the address below during office hours from 8.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday except for public holidays.
9. Deadline for submission: Expressions of interest should be delivered in writing to the address below (in person or by e-mail) marked with the subject title of the position by 22nd Feb 2024
Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigations MoAI-HirShabelle State
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
and copy email@example.com